From March 15 to 21, the 2016 Young Professionals (YP) Workshop on Social Housing was held in Cagayan de Oro City (CdO). This is already the sixth time that TAO-Pilipinas has conducted the training for young professionals and senior students of architecture, engineering and planning. TAO last carried out the YP workshop in 2011. The workshop theme for this year was “Mainstreaming Participatory Design Process in Community Planning and Development.”
Fifty-six (56) participants joined the YP workshop in CdO. They are comprised of engineering students from Xavier University (XU), architecture students from Mindanao University of Science and Technology (MUST), community representatives from Impala Neighborhood Association and Tierra Villa Verde Homeowners Association, community mobilizers from the local government of CdO, and management and technical staff of Social Housing Finance Corporation (SHFC). The training on social housing for YPs was divided into two parts; part 1 was the lecture and orientation sessions while part 2 was the community immersion activities.
Two days were allotted for the lecture sessions that were held at the Manresa Training Center in Carmen, Cagayan de Oro City. The training began with a keynote lecture from Mr. Roel Ravanera, Executive Director of Xavier Science Foundation. In his lecture entitled “The Challenges to Sustainable Human Settlements Development and the Role of Young Professionals”, Mr. Ravanera talked about pressing issues in sustainable development and social housing and the ways to address these issues. He introduced the Xavier Ecoville project of Xavier University as an example of a housing solution to resettle Sendong-affected families and build a sustainable community.
The next presentations were grouped into four sessions that had specific learning objectives. The sessions were categorized into: (1) social housing overview; (2) participatory community planning and design; (3) building sustainable and disaster-resilient communities; and (4) facilitating the community consultation workshop. Several resource persons gave lectures about various topics, these included:
- The National Housing Situationer presented by Atty. Junefe Payot
- Cagayan De Oro Housing Situationer presented by Mr. Ermin Pimentel
- Batas Pambansa 220: Planning and Design Standards for Social Housing presented by Arch. Angelus P. Sales
- Cost Considerations in Socialized Housing Developments presented by Arch. Angelus P. Sales
- Methods and Tools for Participatory Planning and Design presented by Arch/ EnP. Geraldine R. Matabang
- Planning with Urban Poor Communities: Technical Assistance Case Studies presented by Arch/EnP. Faith Y. Varona
- Sustainable and Disasterresilient Concepts in Settlements Planning and Design presented by Arch/ EnP. Arlene D. Lusterio
- Technical Professionals in Post-Disaster Rehabilitation Work presented by Arch. Verna P. Sarraga
- Communicating Technical Knowledge to Communities presented by Ms. Ananeza Aban
- Guide to Facilitating a Participatory Community Consultation Process presented by Arch/EnP. Geraldine R. Matabang